A rare J. H. Steward military protractor, dating from 1935. The semi-circular celluloid protractor is in very good, original condition, and comes complete with its original card-backed envelope. It was posted direct from J. H. Steward on 29th August 1935 to a Major R. H. Wilson of Westbourne Terrace, London.
This type of military protractor was used by artillery and machine gun officers during WW1 and WW2. It is marked with various scales and has the 1915 dated Patent Number 11465.
J. H. Steward Ltd: James Henry Steward (1817-1896) established his business in London in 1852 as a maker and retailer of optical, scientific, military and surveying instruments. J.H. Steward was the head optician of the company and had businesses at 406 Strand, 457 West Strand and 54 Cornhill in London. In the mid 1800s he became the optician to Her Majesty's Government and the National Rifle, and National Artillery Associations. James Henry Steward died in 1896. J. H. Steward Ltd was incorporated in 1912 and continued in business in London until 1973. The main London office was sold in 1971, and from 1971-1973 the company rented premises in Catherine Street. All the remaining stock and long serving staff member George Goble (c.1916-1975) were moved to Catherine Street. The business finally moved to 154a Church Road, Hove, Sussex in 1973, before finally ceasing trading in 1975.
The protractor is in very good original condition. The envelope is in very good condition, with a few marks.