A Georgian wood cased compass, made around 1820-1850. This type of wood cased compass was produced from around the end of the 18th century to the mid-19th century. This example has a typically ornate Georgian style of compass card design. It also has the distinctive, delicate and finely balanced blued compass needle, with gilt North and South points. The hand-made triangular hinges also point to it being a Georgian rather than Victorian compass. The compass is in full working order and finds North well. With a hand drawn paper card, flat blued needle, 'crown' pivot and automatic transit lock, operated by a small pin and lever when the lid is closed.
The compass has a handwritten inscription inside the lid: 'R. C. Hastings, Surveyor, Birmingham and Wolverhampton and Staffordshire Railway'. There is also a date, which is very indistinct, but looks like '1860'.
In very good, original condition, full working order, and just the normal signs of age and use.