A lovely Georgian mahogany cased pocket compass, in excellent original condition, dating from around 1820-1840. This type of wood cased compass was produced from the end of the 18th century to the mid-19th century. This example has a typically ornate Georgian style of compass card design. It also has the distinctive, delicate and finely balanced blued compass needle, with gilt North and South points. The hand-made triangular hinges also point to it being a Georgian rather than Victorian compass. The compass is in full working order and finds North well. With a hand drawn paper card, flat blued needle, 'crown' pivot and automatic transit lock, operated by a small pin and lever when the lid is closed.
The compass has an indistinct handwritten inscription inside the lid, which is very difficult to read, but looks like: 'John Leach, [?] at Bath'.
In very good, original condition, full working order, with just the normal signs of age and use. It points strongly to North. The original Georgian glass is in very good condition. The lid closes well and the hinges are in very good condition. The '7' shaped brass clasp that would originally have secured the lid is missing.