A rare, original, German language set of Luftgau Verordnungsblatt, produced by the Luftwaffe's Luftgau XI from 1940 to 1944. During WW2 Luftgau XI was the designation of the organisation controlling the Luftwaffe Hamburg region. This is a huge volume of over 500 pages, made up of all the individual issues of the paper bound together. Each issue contains announcements by the higher command, news, details of awards, and general information relating to the administration and work of Luftgau XI. Illustrated with a few photographs of Luftwaffe prisoners of war captured by the allies.
Luftwaffe and Luftgau: Between 1933 and 1945, the organization of the Luftwaffe underwent several changes. Originally, the German military high command decided to use an organizational structure similar to the army and navy, treating the aviation branch as a strategic weapon of war. Later on, during the period of rapid rearmament, the Luftwaffe was organized on a geographical basis.
Following its clandestine formation in May 1933, the establishment of the German Air Arm was openly announced in February 1935, with Hermann Goring as its Commander-in-Chief, in blatant defiance of the Versailles Treaty. Initial plans were for long-term growth of the Luftwaffe over a period of five years with the intention of using it as a strategic force. The focus and role of the Luftwaffe gradually became one of ground support for the German Army during its Blitzkrieg (Lightning War) campaigns. Göring, using his considerable influence with the Fuhrer, was able to get significant resources allocated to the Luftwaffe, more so than the army or the navy; all three forces existing within the combined Wehrmacht armed forces of the Reich. This made the Luftwaffe one of the most powerful air forces in Europe during its initial years. Partly due to its ground support role, the Luftwaffe was reorganized in a fashion similar to the army units, with one unit controlling a specific area. Each Luftwaffe unit was self-contained and had complete control over all aspects of Luftwaffe forces in that area.
Within the Air Ministry, for administration purposes, the Luftwaffe was organized into Luftgaue (Air Districts), based on the army's Wehrkreis (Military Districts). A Luftgau was responsible for all administrative activities, such as training, administration, maintenance, air defense, signals, recruitment and reserve personnel. The Generalmajor leading the Luftgau-kommando of each Luftgau reported to the Air Ministry. Those Luftgaue established within Germany were numbered non-consecutively with Roman numerals. Luftgaue were also established as required in occupied europe and were named after their location, e.g. Luftgau Belgien-Nordfrankreich was headquartered in Brussels and responsible for Belgium and northern France. Each Luftgau had its own section for the following matters:
Restricted flying areas
These sections were numbered in Arabic numerals followed by a Luftgau designator. For example, section 3 of Luftgau VI would be designated '3/VI'. Flying units used the services of a Luftgau through Flughafenbereichkommandanturen (Airfield Regional Commands). Each Luftgau usually had five such commands. Each regional command was divided into five or more Einsatzhafenkommandanturen (Operational Airfield Commands). The operational commands were located at the airfields where it serviced the flying units.
In very good condition. The boards are in very good condition, with a few minor marks. With 'Imperial War Museum' in gilt lettering on the front board. The binding is very good and secure. The text is in very good condition, with some age-toning to the paper.
Published: 1940-44 Green Boards with gilt titling Dimensions: 240mm x 300mm Pages: 545