A German WW2 era 'Marschkompass' (Marching Compass), made by Stockert & Sohn c.1938. This compass design was patented in Germany in 1938 and was adopted as the official compass of the Hitler Youth. It is similar to other models that were used by the Wehrmacht during WW2. Two versions of the Marschkompass are known: the early one with a white chapter ring and a 50 mm ruler and the later one with a black chapter ring and a 100 mm ruler.
This compass is an early version, with a white chapter ring, aluminium and bakelite case, a blued needle with a luminous painted North point, and luminous cardinal points. (The paint is no longer luminous). With a folding, highly polished, metal sighting mirror, and rulers marked on the sides of the case. The compass is marked 'Marschkompass' and 'S - DRP' on the exterior of the case.
The compass is in very good condition and finds North well. With minor signs of age and use. Marked 'Marschkompass' and 'DRP' on the case.
Dimensions : 60mm x 55mm (130mm length fully open)